UNIT OF STUDY OVERVIEW: GRADE 1
For this unit, students will be exploring the fascinating world of Pirates. They will have a chance to learn and perform poems, shanties and dances from the appropriate time period. Students will also be introduced to simple geographical language and gain a better understanding of the larger world around them.
UNIT OF FOCUS:
- English (writing)
- English (reading)
- Creative Arts
- SPEAKING and LISTENING: Performance of poems
- WRITING: Poetry, Lists, Labels and Captions, Instructions
- READING: Author Focus: Babette Cole, Guided Reading, Poetry reading
- PHONICS: Phonics Groups are set, working through Letters and Sounds
- NUMBER: Counting in 10s, addition and subtraction, number bonds to 10
- SHAPE, SPACE and MEASURES: 2D and 3D shapes, repeating patterns, positional language
- LIFE PROCESSES and LIVING THINGS: Senses, parts of the body, keeping healthy and staying safe
- VISUAL ARTS: Painting Skills, Oil pastels
- v MUSIC: Pirate sea shanties
- DANCE: Pirate dances
- GEOGRAPHY: Naming the oceans and continents.
Using and drawing simple maps. Using geographical language
- SKILLS: Keyboard and mouse skills
- PROGRAMS: Word, Paint, Purple Mash
- ACTIVITY: Goals and Targets
END OF UNIT PROJECT/ACTIVITY:
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY: Pirate Day; treasure hunts, fancy dress, and building pirate ships.
- ACTIVITY/PRESENTATION: Activity Carousels; students take their parents around a variety of activities showing them all the different things they have learned and can do.
- VISITORS: People who help us; nurses, police, etc.