UNIT OF STUDY OVERVIEW: GRADE 2
ALL ABOUT US
In this unit, students will be learning all about themselves and their classmates. From this, they will produce personal poems, profiles, and journals that are all about who they are.
UNIT CORE FOCUS
English (writing) English (reading) Science Creative Arts
- SPEAKING and LISTENING: Poems about ourselves, different sentence types with a focus on interviews with people and questionnaires
- SPELLING: Long vowel phonemes
- GRAMMAR & PUNCTUATION: Reviewing capital letters, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks and corresponding sentence types, nouns
- WRITING: Poems, sentence types; statements, questions, exclamations, commands, questionnaires, profiles
- READING: Poems, sentence types; statements, questions, exclamations, commands, questionnaires, profiles
- NUMBERS: Place value
- MENTAL MATHS: Counting and ordering numbers to 100 / place value
- MEASUREMENT: Length / height
- SHAPE, SPACE, and MEASURES: 2D Shapes, Lines of symmetry, Length and Height
- SCIENTIFIC ENQUIRY: Classify different kinds of animal babies, learn about the basic needs that are shared by humans and animals and research differing needs of animals within our care.
- EXPERIMENT: Exploration of the need for humans to eat a varied diet, to keep themselves clean and to take regular exercise.
- LIFE PROCESSES and LIVING THINGS: Children learn about how humans and other animals are born, grow and change, and what we need to survive and be healthy. Children will keep a journal to reflect this.
- VISUAL ARTS: Portraits/profiles of ourselves and our families
- MUSIC: Perform poems
- DRAMA: Write a role play of scenarios of unhealthy diet/lack of exercise
- DANCE: Healthy body dance
- PROGRAMS: Paint program skills
- CONTENT FOCUS: Keeping safe in and out of school
END OF UNIT PROJECT/ACTIVITY
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY: Portraits and profiles: ‘All About Us’
- ACTIVITY/PRESENTATION: Gallery Exhibition: ‘All About Us’
- PLACE: Gallery
- ACTIVITY: To view and explore Omani heritage, portraits, and their artists