UNIT OF STUDY OVERVIEW: GRADE 3
This unit will focus on writing simple sentences, using correct punctuation and recognising word classes.
UNIT CORE FOCUS
English (writing) English (reading) Science Creative Arts
- SPEAKING and LISTENING: Oral book reviews, recreating The Twits story in dialogue and drama performances
- WRITING: Character Descriptions, Setting Description, Adventure Stories, Instructional Writing (revolting recipes)
- SPELLING: Spelling intervention, Phonics screening in week 1; suffixes, Adding i sound spelt y, The u sound spelt ou, prefix –un
- GRAMMAR & PUNCTUATION: Conjunctions, adjectives, time connectives
- READING: Guided Reading, Extracts from The Twits, reading and following instructions
- NUMBERS: Mental calculation strategies for addition, number bonds to 10, 20, 100 more and less than, adding multiples of 10 and 100, adding one digit numbers to tens and units (bridging through ten), subtracting one-digit numbers to tens and units (bridging through ten)
- MENTAL MATHS: Bonds to 20, doubles, multiples of numbers, counting in tens
- SCIENTIFIC ENQUIRY: Exploring questions related to teeth and diet
- EXPERIMENT: Eggshell investigation – which liquids do the most damage to tooth enamel
- LIFE PROCESSES and LIVING THINGS: Nutrition, healthy teeth, animals’ diets
- VISUAL ARTS: Drawing and sketching
- DRAMA: Twit sketches/ hot seating
- MS OFFICE: Word; Orientation of keyboard – changing font size, colour, bold and italic.
- EDUCATION CITY: On-going – link to homework.
- CONTENT FOCUS: Our School Community – important people, who are they?
- CONTENT FOCUS: Orienting our school – people and place. Orienting our school – maps, and plans.
- CONTENT FOCUS: Relationships (SEAL).
- CONTENT FOCUS: Target setting.
- PLACE: Qurm Park/Mutrah Park
- ACTIVITY: Healthy picnic