UNIT OF STUDY OVERVIEW: GRADE 4
Children will explore and learn all about a championship tournament in a different sport each year; rugby, football, gymnastics. Throughout the championship play, the children will learn about the rules of the sport, the different teams, the game’s history, and all about the players. From this information, the children will create a highlights programme complete with a running colour commentary.
UNIT CORE FOCUS
English (writing) English (reading) Science Creative Arts
- SPEAKING and LISTENING: Commentary of events and performance and analysis
- WRITING: Note taking and script writing
- READING: online biographies of participants, reports on the championships and other examples of sports reports
- GRAMMAR: Present simple and continuous versus past simple
- SPELLING: Doubling letters for continuous ‘ing’ and past tense ‘ed’ forms
- NUMBER: place value, multiplying and dividing by 10 and 100, working on instant recall with basic facts, mental strategies with forum operations, problem-solving and mental maths
- SHAPE, SPACE, and MEASURES: Proportions, symmetry, reflection and length measurements.
- LIFE PROCESSES and LIVING THINGS: the skeletal and muscular system and how they work along with joints to let the body move.
- VISUAL ARTS: drawing body parts; to proportion, in motion, and x-ray. Create and design origami jerseys
- GEOGRAPHY: Study Europe; countries, languages, food, capital, statistics
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY/APPs: Create news reports/broadcasts using various apps; iMovie, voice recorder, Morpho, Explain Everything, Coach’s Eye
- FOCUS: Sportsmanship, abiding by rules, healthy lifestyle
END OF UNIT PROJECT/ACTIVITY
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY: Video performance of; highlights programme of championship, commentary of performances and analysis
- PLACE: Sultan Qaboos Stadium and Seeb Stadium
- ACTIVITY: See behind the scenes