UNIT OF STUDY OVERVIEW: GRADE 5
MUNCH, CRUNCH, WHAT’S FOR LUNCH?
An exciting unit focused on keeping healthy and healthy living. Instructions and persuasive language will be developed to help students persuade others to take up a healthier lifestyle. Students will also learn about what goes into our food and will be extracting data from ingredients; with a particular focus on sugar intake and fruit and vegetable consumption.
UNIT CORE FOCUS
English (writing) English (reading) Science Creative Arts
Social/PSHE Historical/Cultural Mathematical
- SPEAKING and LISTENING: Explaining instructions. Debating and arguing a point. Making something in class using and following instructions.
- WRITING: Writing instructions. Using persuasive language in a poster and letter.
- SPELLING: Spelling journal/Keywords.
- GRAMMAR & PUNCTUATION: Connectives and imperative verbs.
- READING: Reading and following instructions.
- NUMBERS: Measurement using decimals. Division using the bus-stop method. Addition and subtraction (2, 3 & 4 digit numbers, including decimals).
- MENTAL MATHS: weekly practice and multiples.
- SHAPES, SPACE, and MEASURES: Measurement using decimals.
- HANDLING DATA: Bar graphs and Venn diagrams.
- SCIENTIFIC ENQUIRY: Looking at client examples and extracting data from a food survey. Tracking what we eat.
- LIFE PROCESSES and LIVING THINGS: Healthy eating and healthy lifestyle. How animals are grouped. Physical fitness & health. Circulatory system.
- VISUAL ARTS: Creating still life and fruit faces using a variety of mediums
- PROJECT: Research food groups using the Argus app
- PROGRAMS: Sketch-up a 2D & 3D modelling program
- CONTENT FOCUS: World religions
- CONTENT FOCUS: Citizenship
END OF UNIT PROJECT/ACTIVITY
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY: Healthy Bake Sale for all of Primary Section
- ACTIVITY/PRESENTATION: How fit and healthy are we? A series of activities held on the greenfield to measure pulse rate
- PLACE: Sultan Centre
- ACTIVITY: Data searching on the shop floor – price and ingredients check – and eating a healthy breakfast together