UNIT OF STUDY OVERVIEW: GRADE 6
Students will be reading action/suspense thrillers and spy stories. From these stories, they will be creating their own short stories in the same genre. Students will also create a dance or drama sketch based on their short stories.
UNIT CORE FOCUS
English (writing) English (reading) Science Creative Arts
Social/PSHE Historical/Cultural Mathematical
- SPEAKING and LISTENING: Reading and performing their play scripts.
- WRITING: Plan, draft and write a short spy/action thriller story, using foreshadowing for suspense. Write a playscript based on their own spy/action thrillers.
- SPELLING: Grade 6 spelling list
- GRAMMAR & PUNCTUATION: Content associated with the text.
- READING: Guided reading of spy/action thrillers (Stormbreaker, Tomorrow When the War Began, etc)
- NUMBERS: Place value and ordering numbers. Addition, subtraction, multiplication division and problem-solving.
- MENTAL MATHS: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and problem-solving.
- SHAPES, SPACE, and MEASURES: Using formulas to calculate area, volume and perimeter. Converting between units of measurement.
- LIFE PROCESSES and LIVING THINGS: Body systems; circulatory, respiratory, nervous, immune, endocrine, muscular, skeletal, integumentary, reproductive, excretory and lymphatic
- DRAMA: Create a script and perform a short play based on their spy/action thriller short story.
- DANCE: Choreograph a dance sequence based on their spy/action thriller short story.
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY/APPs: Electronic journals; journal the dance choreography using pictures, sound and videos with an application of the students’ choice
- WEBSITE: com – exploration of light and other techniques for Cinemascope, eg. Villan filmed with light and specific angles for effect
- CONTENT FOCUS: Building learning power, focus on the C.E.L.s
END OF UNIT PROJECT/ACTIVITY
- PROJECT/ACTIVITY: Develop an exercise and diet booklet for a spy to keep in shape. Create a life-size training obstacle course for spies.
- PLACE: Royal Opera House
- ACTIVITY: Behind the scenes at the Opera House